Parasite Prevention and Control With A Veterinarian in Brooklyn
Pets are prone to getting parasites. Cats and dogs can have this problem, even pets that live indoors. If you're a pet owner, it's important to know what kind of parasites can affect your pet and what you can do about it. At Veterinary Wellness Center of Boerum Hill, your veterinarian in Brooklyn helps pet owners prevent parasitic infections in their pets. This helps pets by improving their quality of life and protecting them from diseases.
Parasites That Can Affect Your Pet
Depending on where your pet goes and what your pet does, your pet may be vulnerable to a variety of parasites, including:
- Fleas - Fleas attach themselves to pets and live by sucking their blood. Fleas can cause severe skin irritation, misery for the pet, anemia, allergy and intestinal parasites in pets. Fleas travel easily from one pet to another, and can also be found in the carpeting and upholstery of homes where pets have been infested by fleas.
- Ticks - Ticks attach themselves to pets and lodge on the skin while they suck blood from the pet. Ticks can transmit diseases like Lyme disease.
- Mosquitoes - Mosquitoes live off pets in the same way they live off humans. Mosquitoes can transmit heartworm infection to pets.
Prevention and Control With A Brooklyn Veterinarian
There are many ways that your Brooklyn Veterinarian can prevent your pet from being affected by parasites, including:
- Preventative medications - At Veterinary Wellness Center of Boerum Hill, we provide many different options for flea, tick, mosquito and heartworm prevention. Some pet owners like to provide their pets with these medications only at the time of year when these pests are the greatest threat, but we recommend keeping pets on year-round protection, as the time of year when these parasites can affect your pet is getting longer. Providing your pet with year-round protection just ensures that your pet is as well protected as possible. To find out more about which medications we recommend talk to your pet's veterinarian in Brooklyn.
- Prevent ticks through yard maintenance - Ticks start off in lawn debris, like in leaf piles and on long pieces of grass. Maintain your yard to make conditions less ideal for ticks.
- Prevent fleas by controlling contact with other animals - Fleas spread by animal to animal contact. Control which animals your pet interacts with to prevent the spread of fleas to your animal.
Recognize the Symptoms
Pets who are affected by fleas, ticks and mosquitos may spend a lot of time scratching one area, or expressing physical discomfort, like shaking his or her head or lick or rub his or her paws. Watch your pet for these behaviors, so you can get your pet treatment for fleas or ticks, if your pet should be affected.
Contact Your Pet's Animal Hospital in Brooklyn
If you have questions about flea and tick preventative, or what to do when your pet gets fleas, contact your animal Hospital in Brooklyn. We can help!